8 Tips for Staying Healthy in All Aspects of Life
Good health is not restricted to our bodies but extends to our minds.
Most of us think we’re leading a healthy life because we work out and eat salads. But what about late nights and stress? Prolonged stress is known to cause brain damage.
Around 89% of deaths in Canada are due to chronic diseases. The prevalence of these diseases and our hectic lifestyles make healthy living more important than ever. Being physically and mentally fit improves your emotional well-being and helps you function better.
Read on to learn ways you can maintain your health and stay happy.
1) Eat a Balanced Diet
As the old saying goes, you are what you eat. Ever felt lethargic because you either ate too much or had too long a gap between meals?
Eating right means taking in the right amount of calories, depending on how active you are. It also includes consuming a range of nutrients at appropriate intervals.
Here are a few tips:
- Experts recommend eating three structured meals or five to six small meals a day. Breakfast is a must, as it helps gear up the metabolism and fuels your body with energy. Eat a light dinner at least three hours before bedtime. Don’t skip any of your meals.
- Eat at least five portions of a variety of fruits and vegetables. Add protein and carbohydrates to your meals. Eggs, milk, dairy products, lean meat, leafy green vegetables, whole grains, rice, nuts, legumes, etc. provide you with the essential nutrients.
- Packaged refined foods contain unhealthy sugars and saturated fats. Avoid chips, cake, chocolate, pudding, butter, biscuits, and some fatty meats. Too much salt causes high blood pressure, so control the amount you consume.
2) Exercise to Stay Active
Moving your body brings tremendous benefits. It boosts immunity, improves strength, enhances mood, helps manage weight, reduces stress, and lowers the risk of disease.
Devote 30 to 60 minutes per day to exercise. Pick an activity you like and stick to it. It could be the gym, yoga, jogging, aerobics, dance, playing sports, or swimming. Make sure you stretch your whole body.
Walking and climbing stairs are also good ways to maintain movement and good health.
3) Take Natural Supplements
While you get all the calories you need from food, there are times when you don’t get enough of a certain vitamin or mineral.
This might be because of poor appetite, aging, health issues, or unhealthy eating habits. Exercise also increases your need for certain vitamins and minerals. Energy supplements or dietary supplements help fulfill these requirements.
Certain common nutrient deficiencies include:
- Iron: Iron is found in hemoglobin, which is responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body. A lack of iron is linked to low blood production, poor immunity, moodiness, fatigue, and other conditions.
- Vitamin B12: This vitamin helps your body produce RBCs and promotes the healthy function of nerve cells. Because your body does not make it, you must get it through food or dietary supplements.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D3, in particular, helps the body absorb calcium and phosphorus, which strengthen bones. If you don’t get enough sun, you might need a supplement.
- Vitamin C: This nutrient is needed for a number of processes, from iron absorption and the proper functioning of the immune system to cell growth and repair.
- Magnesium: This nutrient helps regulate blood sugar levels and blood pressure, and aids in the formation of protein, strong bones, and DNA.
Choose natural supplements to get the required amount of these nutrients.
4) Manage Stress
Stress is a common factor in people’s lives today. If not managed, stress will make you vulnerable to severe health issues, including depression and heart conditions. Here are some tips for keeping stress and anxiety at bay:
- Meditate for a few minutes regularly. It brings a sense of calm and improves concentration.
- Take frequent breaks at work and go on a vacation to rejuvenate your mind.
- Find time for activities you love, such as dance, sports, or painting.
- Catch up with family and friends often. A healthy social life does a lot to boost mental well-being.
5) Get a Good Night’s Sleep
The average adult needs at least seven and up to nine hours of sleep daily. Sleep allows your mind and body to recharge. It improves brain function, as well as concentration and memory. Sticking to a healthy sleep schedule is necessary for keeping your mind and body fit.
- Pick a realistic bedtime and stick to it. Going to sleep and waking up at the same time helps maintain your internal body clock.
- Get off the computer screen at least an hour before bedtime.
- Avoid having caffeine, alcohol, or a heavy meal before going to bed.
- Switch off the lights. Low light levels or darkness helps release melatonin that induces sleep.
6) Quit Smoking
Tobacco use is linked to hazardous conditions like cancer and chronic lung disease. It also aggravates heart conditions.
Say no to smoking and other forms of tobacco. It’s not always easy, so getting professional assistance can be helpful.
7) Avoid Caffeine, Carbonated Drinks, and Alcohol
Excessive consumption of alcohol causes dehydration. It also has a negative impact on the brain, liver, lungs, and other organs.
Most sugary and carbonated drinks (sodas, juices, etc.) elevate your blood sugar levels and cause health concerns. Too much coffee or tea drains water from the body. The added sugar makes it even unhealthier.
Switch to herbal teas and fresh, homemade juices. Get help, if you need it, to reduce your intake of alcohol.
8) Drink Enough Water
Your body needs water to remove waste and distribute nutrients and oxygen. Staying hydrated will also help with weight loss. The amount of water you need depends on the climate you are in, as well as your level of activity.
Drink enough water to keep your body hydrated. Dry lips, dark-yellow or orangey urine, dry mouth, and decreased urination are indicators that you need more water.
A Final Word
Health truly is wealth. Prioritize your well-being and follow these tips to stay healthy and boost your happiness.
GNA Naturals provides quality supplements that are made of the purest ingredients and preservative-free. If you’re looking for the best natural supplements, head to their website.